Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The World is Full of Beautiful Things.

Everything is a potential instrument, it depends on how you use it. I remember I was doing Swordfishtrombones and somebody took a stool -- a metal stool -- and started dragging it across the studio floor to move it out of the way. And I said, "That's really thrilling. Do that again and abundantly and carefully and repeatedly, please." It sounded like bus brakes on a big city bus. So I like things that fall outside of the spectrum of what we consider traditional instruments and acceptable sound. I love all that. - Tom Waits
This is a blog about hair.

Well. Sort of.

This. Is Sxip Shirey. 



Who is Sxip, you ask?
Well according to his website, Sxip Shirey is a "composer and performer who lives in New York City. His music is beautiful, surprising, deep and will twist your head right around. Ecstatic melody, unimaginable sounds and deep sexy beats played Industrial Flutes, Bullhorn Harmonicas, Regurgitated Music Box, Triple Extended Pennywhistls, Miniature Hand Bell Choir, Obnoxiophone, Glass Bowls With Red Marbles, human beat box and a clutch of curious objects"
According to his twitter, he's... um. "mutant harmonicas, industrial flutes, regurgitated music boxes and pretty melodies.", apparently. (Hey, that's what his "about me" says!"
According to me, he's a true artist. The way artist's are supposed to be.

I mean- who do YOU know who plays the obnoxiophone?

Watch this. Just start here.

This reminds me of those amazing Russian sand animation things... only in music form.
Which... is sort of the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

I actually first heard Sxip's work in this film,  written by Neil Gaiman, and starring Bill Nighy (And Amanda Palmer, if you ask me). Listen- I'm  a cinema nerd. I am. But I have never so appreciated a score as I did here. It's haunting,  and beautiful, and just the slightest bit disconcerting - which really drives the whole piece.

So I started paying closer attention. Amanda Palmer certainly was chatting him up, and so was Jason Webley. And then the whole Evelyn Evelyn thing happened (have you seen them?) and I missed out on seeing that live, but I listened, and watched videos, and started really really digging this crazy guy's stuff. Also --- his hair had a twitter account. That's how amazing it is. No really. @sxipshireyshair. In a traditional Team Chaos fashion, they were breaking the mold, and starting a twitter account during a show. Amanda, Sxip, Jason, everyone involved.

And that sold me.
So I requested  Sxip on facebook (after asking his permission on twitter. I'm no stalker) and sat back to enjoy the show.



Sxip's profile pic when I added him. Neato, huh?


I mean - watch this. Listen to every piece. The driving bass reminds me of "Big in Japan" by Tom Waits, but then the vocal comes in with a hip hop/soul sort of vibe. Then there's crazy tuba, and this wild harmonica and... wait. Listen for the sirens.

Yeah, really, you want to buy the album.


Who IS Sxip? He's angst, he's passion, he's art, he's pain, he's love, he's joy. And yeah... he has really flip hair.
feast your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment