Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday

I was raised Catholic. I have a big Catholic family. At times, though, I have struggled with my religion-- never my faith, just religion. In recent years I've come to the conclusion that I don't believe in organised religion. (Part of this coming from how much I really hate the Catholic church at the moment, and how much not-better the other Christian religions are). I stand by my own selection of values taken from many different faiths. No matter how my "religion" has varied, I have always had faith. I am a spiritual person at heart. I want to believe in something or someone bigger than me.

I won't ruminate on the subject now- this is the subject of the big three (religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin) I get in MOST trouble talking about.

However- I will say this. In spite of my religious struggles, the traditions I was taught as a little Catholic schoolgirl still carry through. I may not go to church as often as I should, but I still wake up on Good Friday and think of the struggles of one human man who fought for love and peace. I think of how hard he fought... For me. And for you. And your family, and my family, and anyone else. I always get emotional this time of year... The story of Jesus Christ is too overwhelming for me sometimes. Whether he is your saviour, or he's just a swear word, whether you see him as a guy in clown makeup and a Superman shirt (my preference) or a dark skinned road-weary Jewish man, whether he is the son of your god or the prophet of someone else's- take a moment, just a moment today, to think of all that he did in his short time on Earth.

And, if you don't believe it-- it's an awfully good story, isn't it?
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

3 comments:

  1. There can be a lot of beauty (and good story-telling) in the world of religion, no matter what your beliefs. It's nice to hear that you're searching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facts may be facts, but truth exists independent of, and usually in spite of, the facts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which is to say I LOVE this post. Happy Good Friday.

    ReplyDelete