Thursday, November 18, 2010

Just sing.

Today I took a quick trip to the mall. I was feeling in a Dresden Dolls sort of mood, so I plugged my iPod touch in, and selected them as the artist, and put it on shuffle. On the way there I listened to Sex Changes and Shores of California. I thought of what, alphabetically, would come next, as I was climbing out of the car. Sing.

So. I ran my errand and climbed back in my car. I turned the volume up, preemptively, as high as my hybrid speakers would support (not too shabby, actually,) and turned this on.

I sang. I sang as loudly and with as much conviction as I could. I made eye contact with every person on the street as I sang. I drummed on the steering wheel and I sang. I stopped at a stoplight, next to an older gentleman in his truck with his windows down. I looked right at him and sang along with Amanda, "You motherf**er you'll sing someday." He smiled.

And that's what the whole experiment was about.
That one moment of connection.

So sing.

Just sing.

3 comments: